Lux Dei Christian Rants (Archive)

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Sauls Pours That Cold Kentucky Rain Down Hard

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/7705218.htm

In the Diocese of Lexington, a conservative parish is close to seeking alternative oversight, and Bishop Sauls downgrades them to mission status. This allows the diocese to be guaranteed to keep over one million in assets and cash. Of course it means the diocese loses its integrity and any so-called "tolerance" it might have had. The Episcopal Church has declined quite a bit over the last 30 years, and now we know why. The opposition is kicked out, downgraded or made to feel inferior, while the assets remain. This means that a congregation that is dwindling and declining sharply can last for a long time.

I love Lexington. It's a beautiful city, and I love driving through it on my way to Atlanta. It is sad to know that if I ever lived there I would have to change denominations...wait...Anglicanism is coming soon to Lexington. I have been told that many have left the church in question and are starting St. Andrew's Anglican Church that will seek to join the new Anglican network. Over 100 people attended the first service. I guess the gospel still works.